Here at Sky Lanterns Online we want to promote the safe use of Sky Lanterns and help you to enjoy using your Sky Lanterns. Please read our 10 point check and these safety instructions thoroughly before you begin using your Sky Lanterns.
When taking into consideration these stated guidelines and following these safety instructions, Sky Lanterns are perfectly safe and a truly beautiful sight when released.
10 point Safety Check before Launching Sky Lanterns
1. Ensure that the wind is very light – 7 miles per hour or below is suitable for launching Sky Lanterns of all sizes.
2. Only launch Sky Lanterns in a large clear space away from trees, powerlines and buildings. Do not use Sky Lanterns within 5 miles of an airport.
3. If there is a slight breeze, ensure that when launched, your sky lanterns do not fly towards buildings, trees, airports, roads or any area they may pose a danger.
4. Ensure that all spectators stand upwind of the people launching the Sky Lanterns.
5. It is advisable to have a bucket of water or some sand close by in case of emergency.
6. Sky Lanterns are not a toy. Sky Lanterns should only be launched by a responsible Adult.
7. Do not use during prolonged periods of dry weather.
8. Do not launch torn or damaged Sky Lanterns.
9. Do not Launch Sky Lanterns if the glow could be misinterpreted as a distress signal.
10. Read all safety instructions carefully before launching Sky Lanterns.
Sky Lanterns are not suitable for use by persons under 18 years of age
In order to protect yourself and third parties, when using the Sky Lanterns you must follow these safety instructions and the operating instructions. Please exercise diligence by using common sense when handling flammable components.
Only launch Lanterns if the wind is below 7 miles per hour. If there is light wind, determine its direction. Ensure that when launched, the Sky Lanterns do not represent a danger by flying into or over dry forests, buildings, roads, airports or electricity pylons.
Do not use if under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
Do not launch a torn or damaged Sky Lantern.
If you intend to organise a mass Sky Lantern launch we recommended that you inform the relevant local authorities.
Always avoid possible fire hazards. Do not use during prolonged periods of dry weather. Please dispose of the packaging materials carefully and responsibly.
STANDARD LANTERNS INSTRUCTIONS FOR USE
4. The Fuel Cell should be left to burn until the Sky Lantern has filled sufficiently with hot air. When it is ready to fly, it will want to pull out of your hands (30-40 seconds).
Release the Sky Lantern with two hands, whilst making a wish – look up, admire and enjoy!
Frequently asked questions about Sky Lanterns
1. Is launch permission required?
In most cases, no, but it would be advisable to contact your local authorities including the coast guard, for advice on possible regulations.
Do not use near main roads or in area where Sky Lanterns could be misinterpreted as a distress signal.
Important: The use of Sky Lanterns abroad must be approved by the local authorities of the country in question. The user in the respective country is responsible for following the set safety guidelines and regulations.
2. What is the most appropriate launch site for the Sky Lanterns?
We recommend using Sky Lanterns in a clear open space free from obstructions, i.e. power cables, trees or buildings. For maximum visibility, a clear sky is preferable. Keep away from sites with flammable gases and liquids.
3. What are the suitable weather conditions for launching Sky Lanterns?
Best Conditions, for launching: Still weather conditions with little wind. A maximum wind force of 2 on the Beaufort scale (4 – 7 miles per hour) must not be exceeded at the time of launching the lanterns, due to the risk of the lantern flying off course.
We do not recommend using Sky Lanterns when it is raining. Light precipitation/drizzling may still allow Sky Lanterns to fly, but we strongly discourage using them in heavy downpours.
4. What can be used to write good luck wishes upon the Sky Lanterns?
For best results, we recommend using a large felt-tip pen on a flat, even surface, free from dirt and moisture. This is to ensure that the paper does not tear when written upon. To ensure best results minimal pressure should be applied.
5. How high do the Sky Lanterns fly, and for how long?
One Sky Lantern burns and flies for approximately 5 – 10 minutes, in optimal weather conditions, the Sky Lanterns can reach heights between 200m and 500m. Factors affecting Sky Lanterns flight include: Size of lantern, Size of heat source (fuel cell), Ambient temperature at launch site (Ground Degrees Celsius/Fahrenheit), Temperature fluctuations at various heights above launch site (Air Temperature), Location of Launch site (valley, mountain, launch site shaded by wind etc), Wind speed and direction at launch site (Ground), Wind speed and direction above launch site (In Air).
6. What happens once the fuel source has been exhausted?
Once the Fuel Cell has expired, there is no flame or fuel material left, so the lanterns float gently back to the Earth. Falling Lanterns with extinguished fuel cell pose no fire risk.
The Sky lantern and fuel cell may in no way be modified or altered from its original state.
Sky Lanterns are made from biodegradable materials; Rice or Mulberry paper, on a Bamboo frame, which means they decompose in the shortest of times.
Please adhere to the safety guidelines and instructions laid out before you at all times.